This Year, Choose a Word and Not a Resolution!
Welcome to the fifty-second edition of “In-Touch”. As always, I would love to continue the conversation so let me know, in the comment below, what you think.
Story of the Week: This Year, Choose a Word and Not a Resolution!
Two days before the end of 2022, I read an interesting article in the Washington Post by the American author Tara Parker-Pope. In it, she proposed an alternative to making a New Year’s Resolution for 2023: to pick what she described as a “personal nudge word” — a word that will “nudge” you towards positive change whenever you think of it.
She went on to explain that, instead of making a broad resolution (such as to exercise more), a specific action (to lose 10 kilos) or a goal (to save more money), we should choose a single word that reflects how we want to live in 2023.
This got me thinking how choose such a word and I came up with the following three tips to share with you:
- Choose a word that represents a specific action or behaviour that you want to start or stop. For example, if you want to start exercising regularly, your nudge word could be “move”. If you want to stop procrastinating, your nudge word could be “start”.
- Consider choosing a word that represents a mindset or attitude that you want to cultivate. For example, if you want to be more positive, your nudge word could be “gratitude”. If you want to be more resilient, your nudge word could be “strength”.
- Use your nudge word as a reminder throughout the year. You can set reminders on your phone, write it on a sticky note, or even create a visual representation of your nudge word to keep it at the forefront of your mind. Sharing your nudge word with others also helps in this respect.
Having thought long and hard about what I want to get from (and give to) the year ahead, I have chosen the word “reach”, not only with the meaning achieving something (an ambition, for example) but also in terms of connecting:
- Reaching out to new people and forming valuable friendships.
- Reaching out to old contacts and reviving previous relationships.
- Reaching out to my nearest and dearest to ensure that I fully understand and care for them as best I can.
“Reach” is also my main driver on social media. The way I see it, the best way to become viral is to be vital. Posts that are vital increase reach. If I can reach people, I can touch people. The same applies to you.
Choosing a nudge word may appear to be an easy alternative to making a New Year’s Resolution but if you select the right one and then make sure that you keep it in mind, it may well help you make the positive changes that you want to bring into your life and your business.
Words of Wisdom
Arnold Schwarzenegger’s word
“When Arnold Schwarzenegger, a champion bodybuilder, successful actor, film producer, businessman and politician, was asked, during an interview, to give one word to explain how he — “a small-town boy from Austria” — had become one of the most famous people in the world, he was quick to provide his one-word answer: ‘dream’.”
A Question to Ponder, dear friend.
“Which nudge word would you choose for 2023 — and why?”
Would love to continue the conversation so let me know, in the comment below, which is your 2023 nudge word (and why 😉).
Michael R. Virardi